name given in honor of Antwerp Co. (formed in Antwerp Belgium, by De
Wolf), which owned large tracts of land in this and in the neighboring
townships. Village formerly called "Indian River."
name chosen by committee after Belleville Canada. Formerly called
Mills" after Giles Hall.
nameed after the river on the banks of which it stands. Formerly
"Lockport," Kamargo is the Indian name for Black River.
named after Jacob Brown, first settler - - - afterwards Major
General in the U.S. Army.
near here was a boulder for sharpening or burring stone tools of the
Indians, and the name might have bee derived from this.
named by M. LeRay after his son, Vincent, in 1811. Formerly
the exact origin is not known, but it is believed that it was named
Carthage. It was formerly Long Falls.
after Henry Champion of Connecticut, one of early proprietors of town.
after Mr. LeRay de Chaumont. Formerly "Hungry Bay."
named in honor of Hon. John M. Clayton, U. S. Senator from Delaware,
June 4, 1833. Formerly "French Creek," then "Cornelia," and
after S. Newton Dexter of Whitesboro, interested in the business of the
named from Lyman Ellis of Troy, NY, who settled as proprietor there in
Afterwards acted as agent.
from Ethni Evans, who bought the 192 acres composing the present site
the village, and built a dam and mill there.
named after John Felt, who purchased the mill there in 1813.
so called from the glen formed by the Black River at this point.
due to the great bend in the Black River at this point.
after Wlliam Henderson, one of the four, who bought the eleven towns of
named after Ezra Hounsfield of Sheffield, England, one of the
the present township. Named through influence of Augustus Sacket.
after Isaac Ingerson, first settler.
named after Joachim Murat, king of Naples, the father of Lucien Murat,
found the hamlet.
from Col. H. B. Keene, railway company's agent. Formerly
Corners," from Israel Sprague, one of the earliest settlers.
in honor of Newton Mann, one of the earliest settlers.
in dry weather the water of the river finds its way by a subterranean
under a mass of white limestone, constituting the surface rock over
the excess water flows in the rainy season. A bridge has been
named after John La Farge July 4, 1823, proprietor of the site and
the La Farge mansion. Formerly called "Log Mills."
after J. D. Le Ray de Chaumont. Le Ray's Manor House and land
exact origin not known but believed to have been named from Limerick in
LORRAINE: originally "Malta." Received its present name by an act of April 6, 1808 because there was another Malta in the state (Saratoga County).
in 1842 from Omar of Dr. Johnson's allegorical tale in the English
Formerly called "Mullett" and "Mudge's Mills".
after New Orleans. Suggested by the fame attained by that city at
end of the war.
OXBOW: from bow or bend in the east branch
of the Oswegatchie river, where it is built.
CORNERS: named after the township, which was named after Pamelia
the wife of Jacob Brown of Brownville.
after the river and its finny denszens. Formerly "Moffattville,"
named at first "Eizabethtown," but, because there is another town of
name in the state, it was changed to Benezet (after the Quaker Anthony
Needless to say this name did not please, and the present name was
chosen, many of the inhabitants coming from the City of Brotherly Love.
named in 1822 by William C. Pierrepont, who assumed the estates
of his father H. B. Pierrepont, and set up his residence here.
called "Bear Creek."
named from Pillarlike rocks along the shore.
Plessis Creek. Named from Plessis in France. Formerly "Flat
named by J. S. Foster from Redford, Clinton county, his late
residence. He desired a similar name.
RICES: called from Rice family, early settlers of that section of the county.
called "Pinckney," then "Harrison." then "RODMAN" after Daniel Rodman,
clerk of the assembly and a great favorite.
named from Alsatian village of the same name from which many settlers
that section of the county migrated.
Post Office - - - named after Jebediah Hill, who located here in 1815.
name suggested by settlers from Vermont.
named after Augustus Sacket, who formerly owned the 1,700 acres making
the present village.
named after a Mr. Sanford, who owned a stone building there
(Calcium). Formerly Jewetts Corners. Would be fittingly
called Woodruff Corners.
after Samuel G. Slocum, father of Caleb Slocum, the proprietor.
named after Jesse Smith, the proprietor.
named from James Sterling the proprietor.
named after James Sterling - - - originator of the works that made the
changed by the P. O. Department (because another office in the state
that same name from Lawrenceville, after a Miss Lawrence, who owned
of the land).
named from Collins Pratt stone grist mill, 1820. Formerly called
STROUGH: the Strough family was one of the early settlers of this section.
named after Theresa, daughter of Mr. LeRay, and wife of Marquis de
THREE MILE BAY: a
bay three miles from Chaumont.
TIBBITT's POINT: named after Captain John Tibbitts of Troy, NY, who received a patent of the land.
named after Josiah Tyler, who erected the first store in 1810.
probably names from Watertown, MA, considered appropriate because of
river along its border.
WHITESVILLE: named after Thomas Whiten, who founded it in 1802.
WILNA: no reliable information, but according to Emerson's history said to be derived from Vilna or Wilna in Russia.
WOODVILLE: named from the Wood family:
Ebenezer, Ephraim and Jacob Wood (sons of Nathaniel of Vermont), who
the place. Formerly "Wood's Settlement."
WORTH: named after General W. J. Worth of the U. S. Army, personally in this county during the Patriot disturbances.